Performance project

SO the last three weeks as a class we have been working collaboratively the aim to put on a performance!  This on a personal level has been hardest brief of the year! now it’s over I feel like I can slightly breathe again.. which is not the best way to feel about a project. From the get go it was a challenging text even now I cant read or understand but I am ok with this now. This blog post I am going to try give some insight on the through video, imagery. I guess more of a personal reflection as a whole and what my input was and the meanings of this for me?


At one time, according to Sir George H. Darwin, the Moon was very close to the Earth. Then the tides gradually pushed her far away: the tides that the Moon herself causes in the Earth’s waters, where the Earth slowly loses energy.”

The distance of the moon: I don’t know overly how to summarise the initial text as to read the whole thing is hard to digest originally written in Italian in 1965 translated into english in 1968. I guess its a playful imaginative text to work from.

“Humanity crosses increasing distances searching for new territory to explore. Is the distance between and within us threatening our survival?”

I am not going to get to hung up on trying to make sense of the text or how the script writers adapted elements of this to create the script based around this narrative for our performance. I think with it being playful and imaginative was this the soul intention of us using this?


This was were my input sat building the set and props that helped to create the mood and set the scene. Thinking about this what does it mean? ” Set design is an important part of almost any theatre production, as almost every show will utilize some sort of set, however minimal. Sets can be abstract, highly realistic, or anything in between, and they are a chance for a designer to showcase interesting concepts, new techniques, and unusual materials.” this is not limited to theatre or film I have been exploring ways to think about this in a broader scale E.G photoshoots, fashion shows even window displays all hold aspects of this fundamental idea.

My main area of interest from the start of generating ideas was use of transparent materials with limited colour that will react with light like coming to life within the stage. It made sense to start exploring materials playing with prototypes of 3d structures from the get go it didn’t make any sense to overly be drawing or trying to plan to much through drawing as I wasn’t going to be working in a 2D way.


This is were I started through visual play laying iridescent colours or limited colour pallets on tracing paper. which quickly got me thinking about plastic and using and testing anything that would have a slight reaction with light.


Transparent jellyfish I have a post which is more directed to the way in my work evolved with the project from the photos above it became much more of a refined thought out process.

Working collaboratively making the set

We had the biggest group making the set and props; you could say it would make it easier to create and build working with a bigger team. But bigger doesn’t not mean better, in my opinion the group was to big, communication was not always consistent enough! Which happens working collaboratively. Don’t get me wrong there were times we worked well together but this was not until the set didn’t make sense. I think there was lots of things beginning made but no one was talking enough to say this is what I am doing or we could split off into smaller groups and worked on different areas of what needed to be done. Sometimes when the stress levels are so high and the pressure is full on, it’s hard to keep working within the realms of a team or is this just we haven’t worked on many projects together before?

This photo showing not much of a set or a set that makes any sense: apart from the craters there is no sense of the top being the moon or the lower level being the earth (sea) I think for me to see the set at this point we had a total lack of communication going on within the group?

But a week later we managed to get to this! The turn around of a week proves that working collaboratively can be done and the making of a set can be done quickly and productivity if you put your mind to it. Which I already had an understanding of from some of my research I had previously done one a Marc Jacobs fashion show which the deadline was similar to ours (but that was in a totally different league but still the same kind of turn around)



Some of my favourite photos I took:


The mood definitely was captured within this with the elements of the set light visual effects and actors all falling into place. Not one could have worked how they did with out the other. I think it wasn’t until the run throughs with everything working you can really see the development and how far we came as class with this.



Short 3min clip of the final performance before my SD card decided to be full at totally the wrong time!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s